Friday, April 3, 2015

Summer Haze, School Daze

So part of studying abroad is the actual studying. Yes, I am taking three classes, with homework and assessments and grades. I figured while I was here I would take all Australian classes, ones that I can't take while I'm at home. I'm taking Australian Media, Australian Literature, and Introduction to Indigenous Studies. My favorite class so far is Australian Media. It's all about how Australia uses the media and is portrayed through the media. It's nice to be able to apply things I've learned at my home school in a different country. One key theme from all of these classes is "What is Australianness?" and "How do we define Australia?". This is perfect for me; I get to see how Australians see themselves and they get to ask me about how foreigners see them. 

All of my classes have a really large lecture (more than 500 kids!), and smaller tutorials where we really get to engage with the material through discussions. This is different from my classes at home, where we have 25-30 students in a classroom, and the lecture and activities are all in one class. It's nice to feel like I'm in one of those college classes like in the movies. 

Unfortunately, I have to cut this post short. I'm on the bus headed towards my first destination of my Easter Break trip! Today, we're going to Australia Zoo, where I can finally hold a koala!! Pictures to come when I return! 

No comments:

Post a Comment